Thursday, August 7, 2014

Good Story 088: A Man for All Seasons



Julie and Scott learn much about the law and logical argument and upholding beliefs from St Thomas More as portrayed by Paul Scofield in the 1966 Oscar winning film "A Man for All Seasons". They haven't yet put into practice what they learned, of course, but maybe someday.


Download or listen via this link: |Episode #088|

Subscribe to the podcast via this link: Feedburner

Or subscribe via iTunes by clicking: |HERE|

More stuff:
At the end of this podcast, Julie describes her experience watching the film "Calvary" and interviewing the director. Here's a trailer for that film:



2 comments:

  1. Great film. I've had a special affinity for the English martyrs ever since I was a kid-one of the hallmarks of my Catholic grade school's history curriculum was to have us re-enact the trial of a later English saint-Edmund Campion. I was assigned the daunting task of being Campion himself, and struggled through his biography as an 8th-grader to prepare for the part. Though I couldn't fully grasp the historical realities of the English persecution and his martyrdom at the time, it was a really enriching challenge. I re-read Campion's life last year, to great effect-not only did these priests die for their faith, their did so also with sacrificing limbs and digits along the way...I am always particularly shaken by the cruel practice of depriving priests of their thumbs, without which, they could never again offer Mass. After revisiting my childhood lessons of the English persecution, Pope Benedict's visit to Westminster Abbey a few years ago really struck a special chord.

    Calvary is definitely going on my 'to-watch' list. I'm always really glad to see a thoughtful film with religious themes, as opposed to the sentimental, Jesus-in-your-face types of things that are marketed to the Christian mainstream today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also shaken when I read accounts of martyrs and realize the physical suffering they underwent. In my comfortable life, a cold is a big event. In my case, I have read most about Asian and African martyrs (along with the early Christians) and am appalled at the horrible creativity applied to their deaths.

      I am trying to remember what I read recently which was talking about cutting off kings' big toes and thumbs. The idea was that they couldn't lead troops into battle because they couldn't sit on a horse or hold a sword. It's creatively cruel when applied to priests' thumbs. Wow.

      Delete