Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Good Story 129: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes



Julie is bored. Scott hides the cocaine and hands her the violin. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle is afoot in Episode 129.

Download or listen via this link: |Episode #129|

Subscribe to the podcast via this link: Feedburner

Or subscribe via iTunes by clicking: |HERE|


       I had called upon my friend, Julie Davis, one day in the autumn of last year and found her in deep conversation with a very fit gentleman with wild, sandy hair. With an apology for my intrusion, I was about to withdraw when Davis pulled me abruptly into the room and closed the door behind me.
       "You could not possible have come at a better time, my dear Scott," she said cordially.
       "I was afraid that you were engaged."
       "So I am. Very much so."
       "Then I can wait in the next room."
       "Not at all. This gentleman, Mr. McConaughey, has been my podcast partner and helper in many of my most successful cases, and I have no doubt he will be of the utmost use to me in yours also."
       The fit gentleman half rose from his chair and gave a bob of greeting, with a quick little questioning glance from his dark eyes.
       "Try the settee," said Davis, relapsing into her armchair and putting her fingertips together, as was her custom when in judicial moods. "I know, my dear Scott, that you share my love of film and of all that is bizarre and outside the conventions and humdrum routine of everyday life. Mr. McConaughey was about to tell me why he must remove his shirt in every film he makes."


6 comments:

  1. Elementary my Dear Scott and Julie. (yeah I know the "Elementary my dear Watson" wasn't in any of the books.

    In my teenage years as an aspiring stoic who was only going to use reason alone - my hero was Sherlock. So I kept attempting to be as observant and seemingly cold as Mr. Holmes. Never quite worked out - but then I had my hero Spock. So whenever I reread these stories I get to laugh at myself again.

    As far as the relationship between Sherlock and Dr. Watson goes - I always felt that there was a warmness and fondness and not just the intellectual giant and his companion. Sure they were not always on the right page together, but there was never a sneer by Sherlock regarding him. Other than some lighthearted jabs.

    One thing you both discussed was if you could pick up the clues to figure out the crime. Can't say that ever happened to me with these stories. The mysteries were often clever, but most of the fun was getting to the answer and what tools Holmes would use. At one time there was the Detection Club with Christie, Sayers, Chesterton, and Orczy where they setup rules to how to play the game "Rules of Fair Play" when it comes to detective fiction. Which reminds me that surely you both will get to one of the Lord Peter Whimsey books. A childhood favorite since introduced via Masterpiece Theater.

    Oh and have either of you read the Anthony Horowitz Sherlock Holmes books which were the first authorized by the estate? The House of Silk was just excellent and Horowitz totally pulled it off. The second book Morality was equally brilliant in many ways, but I have mixed feelings about the actual story and the ending. Technically brilliant and you really get sucker punched by the end. Still sometimes turning something on its head only makes it upside-down. I also read his authorized James Bond book "Trigger Mortis" and found it was better than anything I read from Ian Fleming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how many of us (of a certain age) had our Holmes worship turn into Spock worship? There is just something fascinating about that sort of cold, logical personality.

    I haven't read The House of Silk but heard it was really wonderful. I didn't realize he also was carrying on the Bond legacy. Trigger Mortis - what a great name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it has carried on for us in a way.

    If Vulcans had a church, they'd be Catholics. –John C. Wright

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminded by your podcast, I am finally listened to the Audible unabridged that I picked up awhile back. I love the stories as much or more now than when I read them as a teen. I was going to recommend to you the Audible of The Bee Keepers Apprentice as Holmes fan-fic if you will. I've listened to several books in the series and found them delightful extensions to the original. Now that I have refreshed my memory with the humor of the original, I like the Bee Keeper series even more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lisa! I want to check those Laurie R. King books out.

    So much good Sherlock stuff out there - it never gets old.

    ReplyDelete